The Mission Historical Museum is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization, which first opened its doors in 2002, and serves the community of Mission and visitors to the area. Via donations, the Mission Historical Museum is able to offer free admission. The Museum maintains both permanent and temporary exhibits, and presents a variety of events and programs for all ages. Our interpretation goal is to inspire the citizens of our community through the presentation of our exhibits.
The Mission Historical Museum tells the story of Mission and western Hidalgo County by collecting and preserving objects and records of historical significance to the area, and by providing related exhibitions, programs, and research opportunities for area residents and visitors.
When we are not preserving the community’s history we are serving the community. Since the Museum’s inception in 2002, we have welcomed over 60,000 people; including students, winter travelers and international visitors. We offer an array of free programs through-out the year. These programs help us form a reciprocal relationship with our community.
The Museum is housed in two buildings located in downtown Mission. The Shary Building, which carries a Texas historical marker, was built by Valley pioneer John H. Shary in 1939, and housed his business offices until purchased by the City of Mission in 1960. The structure was transformed into a museum after serving as Mission’s City Hall for many years. The Post Office building was built in 1940. It houses an original WPA mural, the only one that still exists in the Valley.
We love our visitors, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
900 Doherty Avenue, Mission, TX 78572, US